I have been building up to a cold or chest infection the last two weeks or so, however it still hasn’t reach full blown, debilitating strength, which might actually be more annoying as I have just been feeling generally miserable for weeks, verse utterly rubbish for a handful of days. Anyways, it made me think about my go to get-well-soon-make-me-feel-better-in-the-moment-please-God-have-mercy-on-me-tips and tricks that might help you if you are ill, or being teased with a slowly emerging illness.
Food & Drink
- Treats – whether it’s chocolate, crisps or supernoodles and mash (my go to), just treat yourself whilst you are ill.
- Cups of tea – drink it like it’s going out of fashion.
- Drink, Hydrate, Fluid – knock them back, especially if you are snotty and suffering from headaches.
- Medicine – Throat Lozenges, Painkillers, VapoRub; whatever it is that helps, take it, sometimes they can help just through the placebo effect.
- PJ’s – wearing cute, cosy PJ’s will just bring you a bit of joy. Also if you are suffering from the sweats you should change them anyways, sure, you’ll still feel ill but at least you’re not wearing days old, sweat ridden clothes.
- Bedding & Throws – cosy up and feel sorry for yourself. However, once you are better change that bedding ASAP.. – because ew.
- Hair bobble – my patience for having my hair in my face can be minimal at the best of times, but when I am ill it is none exist.
Hygiene & Self Care
- Tea Tree Oil – spraying your bedding with this will help minimise active bacteria, you can see a post I did talking about the benefits and uses of Tea Tree Oil more here.
- Shower – when you are feeling ill and physically exhausted, the thought of having a bath or a shower just seems like too much work. But DO IT! I promise it will help, feeling clean and getting your blood flowing can give you an instant boast. If you really cannot bear the whole convoluted process of a bath or shower (which I get, when you feel ill it’s like someone is suggesting you climb Mount Everest) just have a stand up (or more likely hunched over) wash at a sink.
- Get moving – by a similar token as mentioned above, getting your blood flowing and breathing in some fresh air will really help, you don’t want to start stagnating in your bed.
- Tissues – good quality tissues cannot be overvalued when you have having to continuously blow and wipe your nose. There isn’t really a way to avoid a sore, red nose during this time, but you can limit the damage by using nice, soft tissues vs toilet paper.
- Moisturise – As above, regularly mositurising your nose and mouth will help limit the painful, chapped skin you are likely suffering from.
- Nap – as much as you can, just rest and let your body do what it does best, look after itself.
- T.V. – ideally put on a show that is a tried and true favourite, one that doesn’t require lots of attention but still brings you joy, and if you can fall asleep during it and wake up still knowing what’s been going on and laugh, that’s all the better. For me this includes shows like; Friends, The Office (US), New Girl, Will & Grace.. you get my point.
- Scarf – when I have a sore throat I wear a scarf 24-7, including sleeping. I normally would not be able to bear this but when I am ill it brings me comfort – if you have never felt this sensation than what I’m going to say next will make no sense but my neck feels strangely hollow and weak when ill, and wearing a scarf gives it some solidity… Does anyone get what I mean here? I am sure there is a much better way of describing it but I’m ill, so leave me alone. 😉
Bonus: This guy always makes me feel better. ❤
When you’re ill do you do any of the above to feel better? Do you have any tips that I didn’t list? (I best not still be ill when this is posted, but just in case I’d love any suggestions).